Wednesday, November 9, 2016

When Surreality Became Reality

Photo: Shayera Dark
Do you recall what you were doing this same time eight years ago? I do. Vividly.
I was sick as a dog from eating tainted food the night before, lying in some hotel room on the outskirts of town, thinking my end was nigh. I drifted in and out of sleep, and on occasion heard my mom scolding the receptionist for changing the channel from CNN to Movie Magic. For some strange reason, the receptionist had control over guests’ TVs.

I remember somewhere between 3 and 4 am, feeling much better and then bam! He won! He won! Barack Obama, a dark-skinned biracial man with unmistakably African names, a relatively unknown senator from Chicago, a man who grew up with an absent father was president of the United States of America. Almost immediately, my phone began beeping from text messages from friends and families, thrilled at what was a historical moment. Later that day, I would change my Facebook status, slightly altering a line from Tupac’s Changes from ‘We ain’t ready to see a black president’ to ‘America is ready to see a black president.’

In 2012, I remember finishing a blog post titled Four More Years, the popular refrain to Obama’s re-election bid. I couldn’t watch the debate because I had to go to work the next day. Ok, I lie. Actually, I couldn’t bear to see him lose to Mitt Romney, that’s the main reason I chose to go to bed. The pain of having to witness Obama become a one-term president was too much to handle, so I turned out the lights.

Yet, it was the first thing I wanted to know the minute I woke up. Quickly, I went online and once again, he had won.

Fast-forward to 2016, and I’m here, sitting on the floor, willing my heart to be still. The impending mood almost seems like a replica of the 2012 race, where Romney gave Obama a run for his money. But unlike election night in 2012, the stakes today are tremendously high. You can read more here.