Friday, January 9, 2015

Tab List 2015

It’s 2015. It’s the turn of yet another year and a time for another set of resolutions. Well, not for me. I’m not a fan of resolutions because they never stick, so I don’t make them. However, I get by with a ‘tab list’ - it’s something I write to monitor my progress in certain areas of my life. I wrote the first list last year, and based on it’s efficiency I decided one would be fitting for 2015.

Anyone who knows me knows reading is my favorite pastime. However, for reasons I can neither explain nor comprehend, my reading habit took a dive in 2013, and it took the grace of George Orwell’s 1984 to revive my voracity for books.

For a short time, I was overwhelmed by thoughts of having lost ungainable precious time by not utilizing a good portion of my waking hours in reading good books. I feared several of them would be left unread before meeting my Maker. Of course, those thoughts were not realistic since it would take more than one lifetime to peruse half of all lofty literature ever published. Regardless, I plan to read as many books as I did last year. 

This year, my reading list will feature mostly African writers. As a start, I’ve downloaded Taiye Selassie’s Ghana Must Go (I’m clueless as to what it’s about, but reviews look promising) and Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart (I don’t recall reading this book as a kid, and if I did, I have no recollection of what it is about.) I’ve also got my eyes set on non-fiction books on Africa written by Africans, with my first pick being Dambisa Moyo’s Dead Aid, which illustrates the negative effects of aid on Africa.

Speaking of books, my reason behind reading so many books isn’t solely for the sake of soaking in knowledge and expanding my vocabulary. I’m doing so because I’ll be writing my very first novel this year, and reading is the best way to learn from the literary masters. Now, as to whether I’ll finish writing my novel this year is a different matter, but I hope to write at least 200 pages before the year runs out.

Another plan I have this year is to experience something new and different. This means anything from bungee jumping to sky diving to eating raw oysters – the possibilities are endless with the admissible criterion being that they’re legal.

This year, I’m looking to augment my income through my blog and/or contributing to publications that pay. I’m also impartial to the idea of working part-time for news media outlets. 

That’s all for my 2015 tab list. Of course, I haven’t forgotten the point I made in the review of my previous tab list about working on being more patient and meditating. Those will be taken care of this year… I hope.