Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Tab List 2014

We’re one week into the New Year, and after reviewing 2013, I can’t say there were many memorable events that stood out. Nevertheless, I made it through 2013 alive and healthy, and for that I’m grateful.

As I’m not inclined to making New Year resolutions, this year will be no different. However, I’ve decided to come up with a “tab” list, that is, I’ll be keeping tabs on myself and monitoring my progress that way.

After reviewing the past year, much to my dismay, I discovered I had read only three books (I’m so ashamed of confessing this in writing, but I’m a firm believer of the truth setting one free.) But, as my consolation, I must admit they were all high-brow books, but still that’s no excuse for reading only 3 books in the course of 12 months!!

So this year, to redeem myself, I have decided to read at least 12 high-brow books (fiction and non-fiction) starting with Sun Tzu’s Art of War for Managers – I started reading it late last year, but haven’t gotten around to finishing it yet. I also have my eyes set on The 12 tribes of Hattie (I’m not sure what it’s about, but I hear it’s a pretty good read), 1984 by George Orwell, as well as Malcolm Gladwell’s David and Goliath. In addition, I’ll make another attempt at reading at least one of Charles Dickens’ novels – I started A Tale of two Cities last year, but my eyelids developed a will of their own once my eyes made it past two pages. 

This year, I’ll make several, painful attempts to engage myself with Nigerian Newspapers, mostly for the sake of this little pet project I’m currently working on, which I'll be reveal once the stars are in position.

Lately, I’ve been reading some articles on the benefits of meditation and mindfulness, and would love to fervently practice both this year. These should be easy for an introvert, but when your mind runs a thousand miles an hour, and you’re constantly in your head orchestrating … well, you see the problem. So, I’m going to start slowly and see where it takes me.

Another project I want to work on is my patience, or lack thereof. When you constantly have to work with people who aren’t on the same page as you, it starts to wear your patience down to a fray. To be quite honest, I haven’t even figured out how to deal with this yet, but I’m hoping to soonest for the sake of my sanity. Maybe a little dose of that meditation I mentioned earlier will do the trick.

Lastly, I’m looking to increase my savings and at the same time make a healthy investment. I’m still a little unsure of the kind of investment, but this should get clearer in time.

So there you have it - my tab list for the year 2014. It shouldn’t be difficult to implement, but…